Owning a boat is a large responsibility and our old boat has numerous yearly, and more frequent maintenance chores that go along with ownership. Do you maintain your own house/apartment, car or other equipment? A boat is like a tiny house that floats and has it’s own utilities AND it could sink at any moment. It is good to be able to fix things on your own boat if you can.
I visited Odalisque today to work on the less noble chore of finishing exterior teak bright work (the equivalent of moldings in a house except it has to endure rain and snow). In the short time I gave myself I was able to put one more coat of Cetol Natural Teak on our exterior teak; well, most of it. I could not have picked a better mid October afternoon for this task; the wind was was very calm, it was warm (near 70F), the river was calm and our boat waited patiently while I put more nail polish on her finger nails (toe rails) as the current in the river changed direction and we slowly spun around the mooring.
As the sun lowered in the west and the light faded I kept up with brush and Cetol around our hatch boards and then called my partner Matt on VHF radio. He picked me up before twilight and I really enjoyed just being on our boat, if for just under 2 hours while making her look pretty and enjoying the scenery and the solitude.
Boats are a lot of work but even the ‘working on the boat’ part I enjoy. There is a saying: “A bad day on the boat is better then a horrible day at the office.” I haven’t spent a lot of time hanging around ‘the office’ lately but I do like messing around in boats.
- 2014, November – begin bow stem repairs
- 2013, August 28. No race.
- 2013, June 20 – 23. Overnighter with old friends.
- 2013, May 2nd. Re-core work party.
- 2013, April 15th. Prepare for launch.
- 2012, October 28th and onward. H’cane Sandy.
- 2012, October 9th. Overnight on Hudson from across the pond.
- 2012, September 23rd. Reflections on owning a boat.
- 2012, July 26th. Weekend outing.
- 2012, September 2nd. Couples day sail.
- 2008, November, MTK to HH delivery of a Bene 505
- 2012, July 11th. A reflection on main sails past and present.
- 2012, May 25 – 27th, Cape May, NJ to NYC
- 2012, May 23. Another race.
- 2012, April 20th. Making it right with the stuffing box.
- 2012, April 15th, launch.
- 2012, March 3rd. Install new prop shaft.
- 2011, November 30th. Begin drive train rebuild
- 2011, October 18th. Quick work visit and Cetol.
- 2011, August 29th, after Irene
- November 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- July 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (1)
- November 2012 (2)
- September 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (2)
- May 2012 (3)
- April 2012 (1)
- March 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (1)
- October 2011 (1)
- August 2011 (3)
- July 2011 (1)
- June 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (1)
- January 2011 (9)