Racing a sailboat can be a lot of fun but it is days like today that make me very happy that we actually own a sailboat. Today Ken, Brenda, Jessica and I managed to get in a 4 hour day sail complete with wine, Lobster and other delicacies. There would be no racing turns and very little discussion about our tactics, where we were going or how our sail trim needed to be adjusted.
The southerly wind provided the propulsion and we set the boat up to reach across the Hudson which we must have crossed at least 5 or 6 times. On this point of sail “Odalisque” will almost steer herself without much heel in the 10 – 15 knot breeze we had. It is nice that the boat sails by itself as it left me a free hand for both some food and wine. Course changes are another matter naturally; I need both hands to come about or jibe.
We reached land again around 7 PM after starting out before 3 PM. Within 45 minutes a rainstorm blew up and brought some torrential downpours that we waited out at the club. While writing this and sitting on my couch at home I can still feel the boat undulating beneath me and a warm sensation from having spent a very pleasant time with friends on our boat.
- 2014, November – begin bow stem repairs
- 2013, August 28. No race.
- 2013, June 20 – 23. Overnighter with old friends.
- 2013, May 2nd. Re-core work party.
- 2013, April 15th. Prepare for launch.
- 2012, October 28th and onward. H’cane Sandy.
- 2012, October 9th. Overnight on Hudson from across the pond.
- 2012, September 23rd. Reflections on owning a boat.
- 2012, July 26th. Weekend outing.
- 2012, September 2nd. Couples day sail.
- 2008, November, MTK to HH delivery of a Bene 505
- 2012, July 11th. A reflection on main sails past and present.
- 2012, May 25 – 27th, Cape May, NJ to NYC
- 2012, May 23. Another race.
- 2012, April 20th. Making it right with the stuffing box.
- 2012, April 15th, launch.
- 2012, March 3rd. Install new prop shaft.
- 2011, November 30th. Begin drive train rebuild
- 2011, October 18th. Quick work visit and Cetol.
- 2011, August 29th, after Irene
- November 2014 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- July 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (1)
- November 2012 (2)
- September 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (2)
- May 2012 (3)
- April 2012 (1)
- March 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (1)
- October 2011 (1)
- August 2011 (3)
- July 2011 (1)
- June 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (1)
- January 2011 (9)
Lobster too huh Caleb! Very nice! I’m already looking forward to next year myself…Although I hope to get a few more sails in…